Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Sick Day and A Book Review

Wednesday

Tuesday night was horrible! I woke up just about every 2 hours with severe stomach pain.  By the time I got up with my alarm I was exhausted and nauseas.  I’m not sure what was up but I took it easy that day. Didn’t run. Took a nap midday. Laid low.  At some semi-comforting food.

DSC01177 Giant shredded wheat w/ skim milk

DSC01180 Cambell’s Select Harvest Chicken and Brown Rice Soup (still wayyyy too salty, I couldn’t drink the broth)

DSC01182 Spinach + Arugula, Red Bell Pepper, Carrot, Hummus

DSC01183 Whole Wheat bread topped w/ Teddie’s unsalted p.b. and slices of apple and cinnamon

By night time I decided I needed some sort of workout so I did some strength training for 30 minutes and called it a day.

I also watched ANTM last night. Esther (the girl from Boston) got kicked off. I’m not sad about it LOL. My faves are Kayla and Jane. Do you watch ANTM?

Thursday

Last night I only woke up once with a stomach pain and it wasn’t as bad.  I was so tired, I still didn’t run.  Somebody give me a swift kick to the butt.  However, I’m feeling fine now!

DSC01185 Pumpkin Apple Oats (1/2 c. oats, 1 c. skim milk, 1 small diced apple, 1/4 c. canned pumpkin, 1 tbsp ground flaxseed, 1 tbsp Teddie unsalted p.b, pumpkin pie spice)

I could eat oatmeal all day. Really.

DSC01186 Pomegranate arils, String cheese & Red bell pepper on a corn tortilla which I ended up tossing because it was gross and just ate the cheese and pepper……..

In thesis class tonight we started going over how to write up our IRB proposal.  For those that don’t know, the IRB is the Institutional Review Board.  They have to approve your proposed research before you are allowed to begin it.  It’s all about the safety and privacy of the study participants really.  We have about a month before we have to submit our proposals! Eek! Then hopefully in January we start data collection :)

Now that I’m home dinner still isn’t made up in my mind.  Raf’s mom already cleaned up the kitchen and I don’t want to dirty it up so I will have to grab something easy.

Book Review

So you probably don’t remember but back in August I bought 3 of Michael Pollan’s books: The Botany of Desire, In Defense of Food, and The Omnivore’s Dilemma.  The first one I started was The Botany of Desire.

DSC01187

BORING! I couldn’t even finish it. It’s just been sitting around since August. Any opinions of those who read it?

However I decided to proceed to the next one, In Defense of Food. It took me two months but I finally finished it.

DSC01188

This one was much better.  I did get a little bit offended by some of the stuff he was saying about nutrition researchers but overall he gives some logical advice.  If you haven’t heard it already: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.  Apparently this was brought to attention in the Omnivore’s Dilemma and I read them out of order. Oh well! So it’s not going to make me go out there and only eat food that is organic and from a farmer’s market but it does make you think about things.  Anyway, it’s a book I would recommend for those foodies out there who haven’t read it yet. Again, any opinions from those who’ve read it?

I’m off to finish watching Grey’s now ;) Goodnight!

9 comments:

  1. where the heck do you find a giant shredded wheat?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Christina - LOL Well it didn't necessarily say giant shredded wheat on the box, it just said shredded wheat. BUT compared to the mini wheats that are like normal size cereal this thing was giant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesss!! Someone else I can compare ANTM notes with. My favorites are Chelsey (she's from Boise, ID like me!!) and Jane.

    I was feeling under the weather today too. It must be getting to that season. :( Here's your swift kick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watch ANTM! My fav is Kayla and I like Jane too!
    I wanted to read The Omnivore's Dilemma. I am actually going to the bookstore today so I might pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I own Omnivore's Dilemma and that's it. I haven't read any of his other books, but I really need to.

    And sorry to hear your Wednesday was so horrible! Glad to know you're feeling better, though. Just in time for the weekend's festivities! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That giant shredded wheat hilariously big. I can't stop laughing at it!

    I've been meaning to read In Defense of Food for a while. I've heard good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big fan of Michael Pollan's work. I obviously don't follow his "food rules" to a T, but I appreciate the logic behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read In Defense of Food. Yet. I want to, though! I've read so many reviews, though...it might just be a waste :) You talking about IRB and theses takes me back in time...to a very stressful time! Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that giant shredded wheat. I actually just did a review of In Defense of Food on my blog...www.enjoyyourcheerios.com

    ReplyDelete