Saturday, October 9, 2010

Amazing Support

I want to start off by saying THANK YOU to everyone who commented on my last post.  You’re words of encouragement mean a lot to me.  No matter how crazy this year gets I know I will be able to make it through :) Thanks again!

 

I wish I had some exciting story to share since I haven’t posted in a few days but I don’t. I do however have a recipe! Raf’s mom made this delicious loaf of coconut bread the other day. I have never had coconut bread before but it’s definitely going to be in my future once again.  I knew she would say I could post the recipe but I asked to make sure it wasn’t some family secret :) So I bring to you – Quick Coconut Bread.

Quick Coconut Bread (1 loaf of 15 slices)

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup unsweetened grated coconut

¼ cup soy grits (optional)

1 tbsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

½ tsp baking soda

3 eggs, beaten

¼ cup oil

¼ cup honey

¼ tsp almond extract

1 tsp lemon juice

1 cup milk

Stir all of the dry ingredients together. In another bowl beat the eggs with the oil, honey, almond extract, lemon juice, and milk. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and beat well. The batter will be stiff. Turn the batter into an oiled loaf pan or ring pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes (may need to be adjusted depending on the oven), until a toothpick comes out clean and the bread is lightly browned.

DSC01061

DSC01060 

I also made my mom’s homemade applesauce yesterday. Reminds me of home :) It’s the first time I’ve made it and I can’t believe how easy haha. She doesn’t peel them so it comes out pink which is awesome. Just core them and cook them down. Afterwards run them through a mill. I didn’t have one though so I manually sifted mine through a small strainer haha. I also added cinnamon of course!

DSC01071

DSC01072

DSC01074

Besides cooking, I also fit in some really good workouts the past couple days. I mean so good it hurt to sit down to pee (TMI?). My glutes are screaming “Whoa what did you do to me!” I guess I haven’t been doing enough squats lately hahaha.

Eats have included various super easy meals and snacks again:

  • Leftover pumpkin oats

DSC01062

  • Cinnamon Hazelnut coffee :)

DSC01063

  • Salads/ Veggie Crudite plates

DSC01066

DSC01070

  • Yogurt w/ toppings

DSC01067

  • Popcorn which I haven’t had in forever and everyone thinks is gross because I just air-pop it plain!

DSC01068

  • Green Monster (blueberry style)

DSC01069

  • Pasta & Veg

DSC01076

 

I can’t even remember what else I had that I didn’t take a picture of. Bad memory. That’s why pictures are good!

I was hoping to go to the Farmer’s Market this morning but Raf won’t go with me anymore and my original idea of going with a classmate who lives nearby fell through. Sometimes finding people was so much easier when I lived on a college campus! haha

Well I just downed my last Starbucks Frappuccino Light (the to-go kind in a glass bottle) and I’m ready to do something with my day! Since I was doing homework on a Friday night I decided I’m skipping today and will get back to work tomorrow. I really just hate the idea of schoolwork on the weekend, especially when I haven’t seen Raf in 2 weeks and want to spend some time with him!

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I totally know what you mean by it hurting to sit down to pee! I feel like such a cripple. I can't wait to try out that coconut bread. mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut bread looks amazing! Def trying this out! I will have to make a few substitutions bc I cannot eat wheat, so hopefully it is just as good! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything with coconut gets 5 stars in my book! Love the sound of this recipe. Thank you Raf's mom for sharing!

    If I lived near you, I'd be happily join you on your farmer's market excursions!

    ReplyDelete