Friday, September 17, 2010

Eggplant Parm and First Visit to a Great Harvest!

Well this is my first post written in Windows Live Writer. We’ll see how it goes.

Yesterday I made Eggplant Parmesan for the first time. I used the recipe from EatingWell.com -

EGGPLANT PARMESAN

Ingredients

2 eggplants, (about 2 pounds total)
3 egg whites
3 tablespoons water
1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1 ounce), divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup slivered fresh basil leaves
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
3/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, (3 ounces)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat two baking sheets and an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Cut eggplants crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Whisk egg whites and water in a shallow dish until frothy. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, salt and pepper in another shallow dish. Dip the eggplant slices into the egg-white mixture, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. (Discard any leftover breadcrumbs and egg white.) Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, turn the eggplant slices over, and bake until crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.
Stir basil into tomato sauce. Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange half of the eggplant slices over the sauce, overlapping slightly. Spoon 1 cup of the remaining sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese. Add a layer of the remaining eggplant slices and top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 to 20 minutes.

Nutrition

Per serving: 203 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 8 g fiber; 563 mg sodium; 777 mg potassium.

DSC00872

DSC00873

DSC00875

DSC00876  

Along with it we had whole grain spaghetti and broccoli. Delicious meal!

DSC00877

Then today I made Raf drive us 20 minutes out of the way to go to the only Great Harvest around. I hear such great things about it so I had to try it myself. We decided to get sandwiches – I got the Spicy BBQ Cheddar Chicken Panini on the Honey Whole Wheat. It was a great sandwich just so filling! There was a lot of chicken on it and I was full for a long time. The giant oatmeal chocolate chip cookie may have had something to do with that too :)

DSC00879

DSC00880

DSC00881

A good chunk of my day – and probably the rest of my weekend – was spent scrapbooking. I’m so behind! I have things that need to be put in from the end of 2008. eek! The book is almost full though so I might have to start another one next year. Fitting 5 years in one book seems pretty good to me though. Oh and if you care the scrapbook is something I originally gave to Raf for our anniversary back after the 1st year and have been adding things ever since.

DSC00882

Last day for the Roslindale Farmer’s Market is tomorrow. *sad face*

Have a great weekend everyone! Do you have any fun plans for the weekend?

1 comment:

  1. I just downloaded Windows Live Writer today to try out for the first time too! It looks like everything works, this post showed up in my Google Reader just fine. I hate how fall brings around the end of farmer markets. :-(

    ReplyDelete