Monday, May 10, 2010

A Busy Mother's Day

Mother's day started with breakfast at the Taghkanic Diner with my parent's and my brother and sister-in-law. We used to go to the diner for breakfast after church all the time when I was in high school but since my church has moved around since we really haven't gone there in a while. I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures, it was too early for me to function quite yet :) I had an order of the sweet potato pancakes (it came with 3) and a fruit bowl on the side with a cup of coffee.

After breakfast we had a little break before we headed up to my great-grandmother's for lunch. Lots and lots of family were there and it was nice to see everyone. They all wanted to know what I was going to do for the summer so I pretty much said the same story over and over lol. Over the early afternoon I had two glasses of red wine - a Cabernet - and a sampling plate of some of the different dishes. There was a ton of food. Meatballs, Pepperoni, Rolls, Turkey, Ham, Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, Baked Ziti, Baked Beans...I can't remember much else. But I realized that no one made any vegetables or salad. What a sad sad day for me. There were also cookies and brownie sundaes for dessert.

I also snapped a wonderful photo of my great-grandmother and my cousin's baby - the oldest (95 yrs) and youngest (6 months) of the family.

Towards the end of the afternoon we headed over to my other grandparent's house to visit with them for a little while. I was talking with my grandma about family and travel and found out something very interesting. My family on my paternal grandmother's side came to Canada from France in 1650 and it was my grandmother's parents who first came to NY from Canada. My grandma is into genealogy which is really cool.

For dinner I had vanilla Chobani with Muesli and strawberries (no pic) and then later on I snacked on a smashed avocado with baby carrots and celery. I finished up the avocado with a couple of baked tortilla chips too.

This morning I had an appointment to get my other cat Snickers checked out. She's been pulling out the hair at the base of her tail and I could tell she lost some weight. So we pulled some blood and I will have the results in a few days.  She did lose 1.2 lbs since last May which is pretty significant for a cat but she has no lumps, bumps, or lesions so that is good. Plus she has a ridiculous appetite so I'm just hoping it's a thyroid issue. Breakfast on the way to the vet was a Special K Protein Shake.

When I got home I dropped the cat off and immediately headed back out to bring my car to the autoshop. My service engine light has been going on and off for a month plus my inspection is due so it basically needs a full workup. I'm car-less right now and it's sad :( I hope it's ready by tomorrow. Luckily my mom was free to bring me back home.

Lunch was my cup of coffee (FINALLY!) with nonfat milk and Truvia, a flax-apple muffin, and a large salad w/ spinach, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, cucumber, and a packet of salmon. I didn't quite finish the salad but close enough.

I tried cleaning the house some more for my mom this afternoon but I didn't get much done besides dusting. The vacuum was just way too loud for me LOL. I had a pre-dinner glass of nonfat milk with a squirt of hershey's syrup. I like the dark chocolate variety but we didn't have that right now so it was just the original.

Me, being the good daughter that I am, peeled the potatoes for my mom to help out before she got home. I ended up making the mashed potatoes while she cooked the steak out on the grill. I have absolutely no idea how to use a grill. Add that to my list of things I need to learn. The potatoes turned out good (we always use skim milk and I added some chives and garlic powder for flavor).

My room REALLY needs to be cleaned too. But I have until I go back to Boston on Thursday to do that hehe. Not really sure what I'm doing with the rest of my night. Maybe go for a walk but the wind has been ridiculous. I'm not a fan. Also not a fan of the cold weather right now. Record low for tomorrow morning will be 29 degrees. Ugh. I hope my garden is okay out at my boyfriend's house. I also have to make sure he's been watering it for me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment