Friday, December 2, 2011

Why Wait Until January 1st?

So it’s been a while, almost a month, since my last post.  Honestly I’ve been lacking inspiration about what I wanted to write that wasn’t going to be just “this is what I ate today” or something to that effect.  I still don’t take as many pictures as I used to (I swear my camera battery dies in 2 seconds) and I just want to write more meaningful posts.  With that said, although today is the second day of December, this morning I came up with what I wanted to do and what I wanted to write.

I’m going to give myself some goals for December.  Why wait until January 1st?  If it’s something I really want to focus on, I’m not going to wait until the new year to make a resolution that is just going to discarded like it was never even thought about.  I honestly believe that since I’ve started my internship I’ve eaten more fast food and pizza (out of convenience) than ever before.  How is that going to work if I’m telling other people not to do that?  I’ve been seriously slacking and need to take responsibility.

Goal #1: Re-focus on whole, unprocessed foods.

I’ve already begun this by loading up on my fruits and veggies the past few days.  But I tell ya, a big ol’ bowl of cold salad greens is not exactly what I crave in the winter.  So this weekend, it’s soup making time!  As for this snowy morning? Well I had a delicious bowl of pumpkin oats.

DSC02102

DSC02103

In the mix:

  • Steel cut oats
  • Skim Milk
  • Pumpkin
  • Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, & Nutmeg
  • Walnuts
  • Secret Ingredient

What’s my secret ingredient? CHOBANI! I was fortunate to get 2 large containers, a 0% Plain and a 2% Plain, a little while ago and have been incorporating it into my meals.  Using it in my smoothies was another thing I did last week.  It’s also great in mashed potatoes instead of using sour cream!  And my next plan? Making Tzatziki! I’m setting up a Mediterranean themed meal at the high school (I’m in my school food service rotation) and one of the items I will be making Chicken Kabobs with my Chobani Tzatziki sauce.

DSC02105

Now back to my goals.  The other thing I have to be honest about is my lack of exercise.  In the spring, I was doing P90X and feeling great.  Now I just haven’t been fitting it in.  I make excuses.  I drive 2-3 hours a day for my commute (round trip) depending on which location I’m working at.  It’s a lot of driving.  I get tired. I’m just plain lazy about it.  While I did do the Great Turtle Run in October and am going to be doing a 5k next weekend, I really haven’t been going out running much.  There’s lots that need to be adjusted here.

Goal #2: Re-focus on exercise.  Work-out at least 3 days per week.

My next goal ties in with the last one.  I’ve been watching way too much tv lately.  I come home and plop down on the couch, basically staying there until I go to bed, even eating dinner in front of the tv.  I must be there for 3-4 hours at least.  Usually I’m multi-tasking by working/playing on my computer too.

Goal #3: Limit tv time to less than 2 hours per day.

I was going to say less than 1 hour but come on let’s be serious.  Especially if I want to watch a movie Smile

 

So those are my goals for this month.  It’s always nice to feel a little recommitment and drive to do something.  Here’s to starting off with a re-focused, re-energized, re-evaluated, really great weekend!  TGIF!

2 comments:

  1. yay for a new post! I know how you feel with the commuting -- On my October rotation I had to drive 2 hours a day and it got really old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on setting goals...no matter what time of the year. :) [As a teacher, I tend to think September is the start of a new year anyway!]

    ReplyDelete